Roy Denison

Roy (The Boy) Denison, truly a friend, gentleman and fellow club member of St George Motor Cycle Club. We raced against each other on many occasions. Our best and closest race I remember was the one hour night production race at Oran Park. Roy on a CB750 Honda, Alan Hayles 250cc Suzuki and myself on a 250cc Yamaha locked together the entire hour. I won the race by the smallest of margins over Roy. It had to be one of the most memorable production races to my mind. I also remember at the Victorian Grand Prix, Roy was working for Michelin tyres at the time. Before the start of the 125cc GP race Roy said "I bet you can’t win this race against Geoff Simm", I replied "I bet you that Michelin tyre gauge I can". Riding the Waybry rotax 125cc built by Wayne Bryant I won the race and the tyre gauge. Roy passed away from Prostate cancer aged 39, he said to me not long before his death, "mate have regular PSA tests". I have done this ever since. Only months after his death, good friend and fellow St George Club member and Mr Motor Cycling Australia Arthur Blizzard announced he had the cancer and passed away some 2 years later. I lost a part of me with the passing of both.

2 thoughts on “Roy Denison

  1. Would you please be able to advise me as to what year Roy Denison passed away. I remember racing in a race at Oran Park in the mid 70’s on a Kawasaki H2 750 & Roy was on his Z1 900. It was no contest as Roy beat me by a country mile, but he was a man who has always remained in my memory .

  2. Sadly, Roy passed away in February 1993. I first met him about 10 years previous when he up-dated my Z900 with a 1000cc Yoshimura kit. We became good friends and went on several trips together. I used to assist he and Dennis Neil when they ran their school for budding racers at Oran Park. I trusted this guy so much, that I let him take me as a pillion around the track with foot pegs scraping on the ground. When he had a bad crash at McPhillamy Park one year,
    I was able to ride with him in the ambulance down Conrod Straight to the hospital. However, my saddest memory was when I was honoured by being a pallbearer at his funeral. He was a greta guy, fun to be with, and he was loved and respected by all who knew him.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *